It is that time of year when nothing beats a warm bowl of soup!
This soup is not only delicious, but is also packed with nutritious ingredients. The jalapeño, spices and garlic make a spicy base for this creamy peanut butter soup!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno - diced, seeds and ribs removed
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can (14oz) canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 sweet potato - peeled and diced
- 1 can (14oz) chickpeas, drained
- 4 cups of kale, chopped
- 1 cup of HomePlate Crunchy Peanut Butter
- Optional- salt (to taste), peanuts (crushed) and cilantro (chopped) for garnish.
Want an extra kick of protein? Add 1.5 cups of shredded chicken!
- In a large pot heat olive oil and add onions and sauté until softened and translucent.
- Add ginger, jalapeno and garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 min.
- Add the pepper, cumin and tomato paste and cook for another few minutes, stirring, until paste darkens.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, stock, sweet potatoes, chickpeas and peanut butter. Bring to a boil and stir until fully combined. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 15 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add in kale (and optional shredded chicken) and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Taste the soup before adding salt. Depending on how salty your stock was, it may not need anymore salt.
- Serve warm soup topped with cilantro and crushed peanuts. Enjoy!