This is a bit of a weird idea, but in some sort of crazy alchemy, it works. It works really well. We grew up with them both: peanut butter & jelly sandwiches and grilled cheese sandwiches. They are some of the most nostalgic, ooey gooey, heart warming, simply perfect foods on the planet. Seriously, what is better? So why not try to combine them?
We did. And the result is out of this world. Warm and melty, sweet and salty, sharp and crunchy, buttery and savory. It's a combination that sounds too bizarre to work, but in actuality its going to be your next favorite thing in the world.
It looks good, right? You have to admit that you're at least intrigued by the idea. Grilled cheese. Yes Please. Peanut butter and jelly. Yes please. There are so many alchemies out there that involve the classics that we all grew up on and we are on a mission to find them all. We love that power of nostalgic flavors, but we also realize that our palates have changed as we've gotten older. We enjoy more complex flavors. Maybe we need to make some sort of macaroni and peanut butter and cheese. Or what about dipping a grilled cheese sandwich into some sort of peanut butter soup? Can we use peanut butter on pizza? Maybe some sort of peanut butter dip that could be used in place of ranch when we feel like getting crazy with our munchies? Who knows?! We will figure this out.
Until then... this.
- HomePlate Peanut Butter
- Jam of your choice (try blueberry! it's fun)
- Cheese (we used cheddar)
- A couple pieces of bread (sourdough is best)
- Spread peanut butter on one slice of bread.
- Spread jam on another slice of bread.
- Lay down some sliced cheddar cheese on top of the peanut butter.
- Place the jam side on top of the cheese and peanut butter side.
- Butter the outside of each piece of bread, keeping the sandwich together.
- Place the sandwich in a hot frying pan.
- Flip over when golden brown.
- Remove with other side is golden brown.
- Cut in half and let that cheese ooze out.
- Take a photo for the gram and tag @homeplatepb
- Take a bite.
- Realize it's sort of ridiculous that you have never tried this before.
- Take another bite.
Be sure to use HomePlate Peanut Butter for your sandwich as it is gluten free, protein rich, low in sugar (keto friendly!) and contains no hydrogenated oil or high fructose corn syrup! Also it's really, really good.